VSE Data Miner
The data are collected through the online VSE Survey. Users have access to 10 years of survey data from more than 1,000 survey respondents. The data can be organized into tables, graphed, sorted and summarized. Data Miner's functionality also enables users to create groups of institutions to study—called comparison groups. These can be designed manually, by listing institutions, or they can be designed by querying the system for like features, such as size, location, control, type of degree and more.
Data Miner Subscriber Levels
- 10 years of data from over 1,000 higher-education and 200 precollege institutions.
- Over 300 variables related to fundraising, endowment, enrollment, and expenditures.
- Statistics about advancement investment at higher education institutions, including salaries, benefits, operation costs, capital investment, and staff FTEs.
- Historical data, upon request, at discounted rates. (The VSE offline database goes back to 1969.)
- A free copy of VSE's annual publication, Voluntary Support of Education.
- Complimentary training and assistance in preparing specific reports on an as-needed basis.
Data Miner Guides
The VSE Survey & Data Miner Guide is intended to help VSE survey participants and Data Miner users better understand the VSE survey. It provides an overview of the required and optional questions on the full, partial, and minimal versions of the survey. It also maps the survey data fields to their corresponding variables in Data Miner.
The Data Miner Quick Start Guide provides an overview of the Data Miner modules and basic instructions for creating data outputs.
View our Data Miner video tutorials below.
We also provide direct assistance by email, as well as individual and group training on the survey and Data Miner upon request. Email VSE.
Introduction and Getting Started
Working with Reports Onscreen
Creating and Editing Reports
Creating and Editing Comparison Groups
CASE offers specialized data queries by arrangement, for those seeking a one-time report or historical data. The VSE offline database goes back to 1969.
To discuss your data needs, email Ann E. Kaplan.