College and University Foundations
Building Private Support for Students, Research, and Learning
College and university foundations are separate 501(c)3 charitable organizations that exist solely to support students, research, and learning at a college, university, university system, or college unit.
PURPOSE – exist to raise and/or manage private support for a single institution or system of institutions while honoring donor intent.
PUBLIC – are affiliated with public colleges and universities, including 4-year institutions and community colleges.
GOVERNANCE – college and university foundations are separate, legal entities with their own governing board.
College and University Foundations support their institutions by:
- Generating philanthropic support for students, faculty, research, academic, and vocational programs
- Advising and guiding donors, connecting their passion with institutional priorities
- Engaging alumni and volunteers in the life of the college or university
- Building and creating partnerships with business to drive workforce development
- Partnering with the institution to address major challenges
- Protecting sensitive donor financial information and donor anonymity
- Raising and managing private support for benefit of the institution, communities it serves, and the state
- Advocating for the role and importance of philanthropy at the institution and beyond
- Supporting program innovation and the discovery of new ideas