About the Awards
The Educational Fundraising Awards annually recognize exemplary development programs based on a blind review of data submitted to the CASE Voluntary Support of Education (VSE) survey.
CASE member institutions that have participated in the VSE for the past three years are automatically considered. There is no entry fee or application. Winners are announced in categories based on institution type and, in some cases, endowment size.
An expert panel of volunteer judges selects winners based on a number of factors, including:
- Pattern of growth in total support (or adjusted total support if appropriate)
- Evaluation of what contributed to the total support figure
- Overall breadth in program areas
- Pattern of growth in each program area
- Pattern of donor growth among alumni/ae donors and other individual donors
- Impact of the 12 largest gifts on total support
- Total support in relation to the alumni/ae base
- Type of institution
Overall Performance: For colleges and universities that show solid program growth, breadth in the base of support and other indications of a mature, well-maintained program.
Overall Improvement: For colleges and universities that demonstrate significant program growth across the three years of data.
Sustained Excellence: Recognize institutions that have demonstrated consistent fundraising success over a five-year period. Institutions that have been recognized with an overall performance, overall improvement or award for excellence in three out of the past five years also receive this award designation.
Award for Excellence: For independent schools that demonstrate solid program growth, breadth in the base of support and other indicators of an exemplary fundraising program.