College and University Foundation Survey
The FY20 College and University Foundation Survey Will Launch in September 2020.
The CASE College and University Foundation Survey (formerly IRF Data Book Survey) is designed to be a one-stop shop for foundation executives and professionals interested in comparing data related to their foundation's structure, staffing and operations with their peers. This annual survey also allows CASE staff to explore trends in foundation management.
Foundations participating in the College and University Foundation Survey will be able to:
- Compare their foundation's funding and operations with their peers,
- Pull comparison data at any time for foundation staff or board meetings,
- Choose specific foundations to benchmark against and
- Learn about the latest trends in foundation management and operations.
Foundations participating in the survey will also receive a copy of PowerPoint slides outlining key trends from the previous fiscal year.
Who Can Participate?
Only CASE members are eligible to participate in the College and University Foundation Survey. Since all data and information will be open to participating foundations, CASE asks that members do not share survey data beyond their foundations.
How Can My Foundation Participate in the Survey?
Foundation staff who completed previous IRF Data Book Surveys can access the FY20 College and University Foundation Survey by logging in at http://benchmarking.case.org. Once a completed survey is submitted, foundation staff can immediately begin to benchmark against peer foundations who have also completed the survey.
Foundation staff new to the survey must first register to use the CASE Benchmarking Toolkit. Complete the following two steps to register:
- Select an individual to complete data surveys. Given the financial nature of most surveys, your foundation may want to choose a financial staffer. This person will also be your foundation's designee for accessing data in the data book.
- Send the full contact information for this individual to the Research Department with "CUF Survey" in the subject line. Once your e-mail is received, the CASE research department will send login information to the staffer, who will then be able to complete the current survey. As soon as the staffer completes the survey, he or she will be able to access data and benchmark against peers who have also completed the survey.
While there is no registration fee, only CASE members are eligible to participate in the College and University Foundation Survey and complete the survey. Survey participants must also complete the entire survey to access the benchmarking data.
What Data Will Foundations Need to Complete the Survey?
Registered foundations should have the following documents handy when completing the survey:
- CASE Voluntary Support of Education Survey response,
- NACUBO-TIAA Endowment Study response,
- Audited financials for fiscal year and
- Form 990.
Contact Brian Flahaven (firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-202-478-5617).