How to Beat the Blahs on Sluggish Days
Even the most passionate and productive of workers finds themselves in a slump – maybe inspiration is running low, the weather has turned bleak, or burnout is taking hold. You may need a mental health day, but sometimes you just need a jumpstart. Check out these quick restarts from the All Business blog:
- Take a walk. Sometimes you just need a reset or a change of scenery. Rather than forcing creativity, get away from your desk and take a walk. Physically, it helps pump oxygen to the brain and improve focus. You can use the time away to focus on the top three priorities to accomplish for the day.
- Chew gum. Studies have shown that chewing gum can improve alertness and the ability to pay attention to what’s going on. It also allows your brain to switch into multitasking mode…the old adage “walk and chew gum at the same time” holds true.
- Watch what you eat. Certain foods, or a heavy breakfast can cause a sugar crash later in the day. Drink lots of water and snack on foods high in protein to keep the energy going.
- Just start writing. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part – start jotting ideas down and see what happens – it could be the start you need to get the creative juices flowing again.
- Go to outside inspiration. Try firing up a podcast or music to help lift your spirits. It can be playing while you get organized, do administrative tasks, or make your to-do list, then move on to the harder tasks in your day.