How To Communicate Better
Being a good communicator is a key attribute for success in any field, at any stage of your career. You can improve your communication skills, and that will help you reap professional rewards. Following are five ways suggested by Success Magazine to improve your communications:
1. Provide value. When you speak with people, give them something to take away—key information, an actionable item, useful tips.
2. Listen. To communicate better, start with being a better listener. It’s important to focus on what the other person is saying.
3. Select a good time to speak. To improve the chances that people can hear what you say, choose good times to talk (i.e., not when people are otherwise distracted).
4. Get to the point. If you want to make the most of people’s often short attention span, you have to get to the point quickly.
5. Smile. Providing positive feedback to others makes them feel heard and appreciated. Instead of focusing on what you want to say next, take a moment to express appreciation to the person who is talking.
Read 9 Ways to be a Better Communicator from Success Magazine for more suggestions.