Opportunity and Inclusion Scholars Program
GOAL & PURPOSE
The purpose of the O&I scholarship program is to encourage diverse professionals, particularly those who have less than 4 years of experience in the field of advancement/Communications to attend the annual district conference.
The award includes:
- The cost of the annual district conference registration fee (lodging and travel to and from the conference must be covered by the individual or his/her institution).
- A travel stipend to help cover some expenses associated with lodging and airfare.
- Recognition as a CASE VIII scholar at the annual conference and in relevant publications and activities.
ELIGIBILITY & SELECTION
Successful applicants must meet one or more of the following eligibility categories and express leadership capabilities, a high degree of motivation, and are interested in contributing knowledge to the field of advancement or communications.
- Opportunity: N2A indicates professionals who have less than 4 years' experience in the field of Advancement/Communications. N2A scholarships and programming encourage “new” professionals who work in alumni administration, educational fundraising, institutional relations, and communications; including periodicals and publications at a CASE member institution or affiliate to have the opportunity to engage with other industry professionals for the purposes of professional development, mentoring, sponsoring, hiring, networking, retention, and promotion to leadership positions in the field of advancement/communications.
- Inclusion: CASE VIII values efforts that foster and promote diversity in the advancement/communications profession. We are committed to the recruitment, retention, and promotion of individuals of underrepresented populations, varying ethnic or religious backgrounds, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, and/or physical and mental capabilities throughout all levels of the field of advancement/communications. Our goal is for scholarships to encourage the participation of diverse individuals at the district conferences and promote the exchange of various ideas that contribute to advancement/communications professionally, deepen the understanding of diversity in the field, and the importance of fostering an industry-wide global perspective.
You will have to prepare a 500-word personal statement. You are required to have supervisor approval to apply before submitting your application.
In the application form, supervisor name and contact information is requested as supervisor approval to apply for the O&I scholarship is required. The goal is to be sure that applicants have their university’s support when applying.
Prepare a personal statement (no longer than 500 words in length) describing the following:
- How you meet the eligibility for this scholarship;
- Outstanding leadership abilities or honors/awards received;
- The value that attending the conference will have for you professionally;
- The value that attending the conference will have for your institution; and
- Specific circumstances at your institution that make it difficult to pay the cost of your conference registration.
Upload your personal statement as a document into the application form.
You have the option to submit your resume for the committee’s consideration (not to take the place of any required information in the application).
Your personal statement and résumé must be combined into one document, with the personal statement as the first page.
Applications and supporting materials must be submitted by Thursday, October 17, 2019. Contact Susan Ordonez with questions.
Please note: Previous O&I Scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Thank you to the University of Oregon for sponsoring the 2020 O&I Scholarships.
For questions or for more information about the CASE District VIII Opportunity & Inclusion Scholarship Program, please contact:
Susan Ordonez, Co-Chair
Associate Director, Early Engagement
University of Oregon Alumni Association