CASE Advancement Internship
2019 CASE Advancement Interns attend the annual CASE Internship Conference in Washington, DC
About the Program
The CASE Advancement Internship program seeks to increase and diversify the number of professionals in educational advancement. This program is designed to attract students (undergraduate and graduate) who may not have previously considered a career in institutional advancement. CASE defines diversity to include ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability.
The CASE Advancement Internship is a summer in person or remote internship (June 6 – July 30, 2022), in which the advancement interns work a designated amount of hours per week, within areas of a university's advancement office. Interns receive on-the-job training and gain valuable skills in the professional areas of advancement, including fundraising, alumni relations, advancement services, and communications and marketing.
Interns participate in a variety of virtual networking and professional development opportunities provided by CASE to expand their knowledge of advancement while they explore the profession including:
- Weekly e-curriculum of online seminars and assignments
- Virtual networking events
- Zoom meetings with CASE members in field of interest
- A supervisor at their host institution to guide their work
- A mentor at their host institution to guide their exploration of a career in advancement
- A select CASE book
- A year-long CASE membership
Why was the CASE Advancement Internship established?
CASE is committed to growing the diversity of the advancement profession globally and helping colleges, universities and independent schools strengthen relationships with an increasingly diverse alumni population. Successful advancement offices will employ individuals who can tap the resources of diverse alumni, and who expect approaches and programming to mirror their cultures, values and experiences.
Why should students consider a career in education advancement?
For those who may not have originally considered a career in advancement, the CASE Advancement Internship is a great way to explore a career in the world of educational advancement and to see the benefits those professions bring to the education sector.
The CASE Advancement Internship allows students to develop a peer network early in their career and provides them with several mentors and professional contacts in the advancement industry at the beginning of their career.
Since inception, more than 70 alumni of the internship have gone onto work in advancement. Check out what kind of entry level positions they started their careers in on our intern spotlight.
CASE Advancement Interns receive numerous benefits to explore an advancement career including:
- Hands-on educational advancement experience at a premier institution
- Compensation for the duration of the internship
- All-expense paid three-day training in Washington, D.C. (June 26-28, 2022)
- Select book from the CASE bookstore
- Mentor from your host institution
- Matched up with a CASE member in field of interest for Zoom meetings throughout the internship
- Participation in introductory online seminars to learn about the various areas of the advancement profession
- CASE student membership for one year after the internship, accessing CASE webinars, the CASE Library and Career Central
- Regular communication post-internship on entry-level job postings and professional development opportunities
For information, contact Robyn Neeley, Director of Talent Management at [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
How can my institution support the CASE Advancement Internship?
If you are a CASE member and would like to host an intern for the 2022 program, contact Robyn Neeley, Director of Talent Management, at [email protected]