Leadership in Development
Join your peers to explore leadership best practices for development professionals with management responsibilities. Gain a better understanding of your competencies as a leader and manager, hone mission-critical skills, and learn new strategies that will work in your advancement shop.
This conference is designed for professionals with mid- and senior-level responsibility.
- Demonstrate how data and research can be used to create effective implementation plans with measurable results.
- Assess how to lead with vision to effectively manage self, others, and resources to achieve organizational impact.
- Identify strategies to strengthen leadership skills to motivate staff.
- Discuss the importance of adherence to moral, ethical, and professional principles.
- Illustrate how active commitment to listening and self-reflective behaviors result in increased collaboration with colleagues and increased organizational engagement.
Who Should Attend
- Alumni directors
- Annual fund directors
- Associate and assistant vice presidents
- Directors of development
- Major gift directors
- Marketing and communications directors
- Managers of information systems, research, and stewardship
- Vice presidents for advancement
Meet Your Chair
Christy Cates is the associate vice chancellor for advancement operations at the University of Denver (DU). Christy is responsible for the strategic management of DU’s Advancement Operations team which includes Donor Stewardship, Community Experiences, Prospect Development, Business Intelligence and Analytics, Gift Administration and Records Management, Business Services, and Talent Management. In this role, she drives the overall efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of the advancement enterprise by enhancing the coherence and integration of core advancement functions, administering resources strategically and creatively, and cultivating a world-class team of talented advancement professionals.
Prior to joining DU, Christy served the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) as executive director of advancement services and UC Irvine as the senior executive director of university advancement human resources. Before entering the world of higher education advancement, Christy held human resources leadership positions with In-N-Out Burgers and Pick Up Stix, Inc., both privately held, multi-site corporations that employed between 800-4,000 employees. She earned a degree in political science from San Diego State University and is an active member of CASE and SHRM.