Annual Development Writing Workshop
Attendees will learn and practice core writing concepts, participate in practical training and writing exercises, give and receive feedback on their work, identify writing peers in other organizations, and explore best practices in advancement writing.
Participants will work in writing groups and will complete writing assignments geared toward major gifts, general development writing, and writing for the annual fund.
This workshop is November 9 & 11, 2021
This workshop is designed for newcomers to the advancement profession and professionals with mid-level responsibility.
Choose from three tracks:
- General Development Writing
- Writing for Major Gifts
- Writing for Annual Giving
Benefits of Attending
- Led by faculty leaders who represent the best in the field of development writing.
- Participate in small writing group discussions.
- Have seasoned faculty review and revise your writing samples.
- Revise and review samples from your peers.
- Sharpen your writing skills and strengthen your fundraising results.
- Receive immediate feedback on your writing style and prose.
- Build your confidence as a writer and communicator.
- Expand your network of writing resources.
- Create written pieces you can use in your real-world environment.
- Access to curated CASE resources and online recordings.
- Make the most of your training budget with a first-rate and value-added program without the travel cost.
Who Should Attend
- Directors of Development
- Annual Fund Directors
- Major Gift Officers
- Corporate and Foundation Relations Officers
- Marketing/PR Officers
- Development Writers
- Communications Directors
Meet Your Workshop Chair
Jennifer Bowie is Chief of Staff for University Advancement at Ohio University. She serves as a key member of the advancement leadership team—managing executive communication, helping to facilitate fundraising efforts for priority institutional initiatives, supporting VP and University President prospect management, and managing Advancement human resources and division-wide strategy. Prior to that appointment, she had been AVP of advancement communication and marketing and chief of staff (since July 2018), and prior to that had been executive director of development, advancement communication and marketing, since March of 2011. She also has served OHIO as director of development for annual giving and was the director of development for the annual fund & communications. She began her career in development in 1999 at OHIO as a major gifts officer. In 2001 she became the director of development communications.
Jennifer is a two-time Ohio University graduate, having earned her bachelor’s of science in journalism from the E. W. Scripps School of Journalism in 1994 and her master’s of science in communication in 1999. While pursuing her master’s, Jennifer taught a number of courses in the Scripps School including feature writing and essential college grammar.
Prior to beginning work on her master’s in 1997, and embarking on a career in higher education, Jennifer worked in healthcare communications for Deaconess Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio.