About the entry
- "Beauty is in the Ear of the Beholder Too"
- "How Technological Disruption, Not Trade, Doomed U.S. Steel Jobs"
- "Black-White Earnings Gap Returns to 1950 Levels"
- "Slips of the Lip Stay All in the Family"
- "Lemur Center Reeling From Sudden Death of Four Aye-Ayes"
From the Judges' Report
- The writing captured the judges' attention. Submissions represented diverse content and writing. The introductory write up was well thought out and thorough. The writing supported the objectives, and results were measurable.
- The storytelling in Duke's news items was exceptional. The integration of charts and graphics was wisely used to make the research and the statistics more powerful. The story of the lemurs was thoughtful and well-written. When I finished reading the entries, I actually searched online for more information on the lemurs and what was determined to be the cause of death and whether any other animals had been affected.
- Duke was well out in front for me, setting the standard. Highly professional work, would love to have that talent in any team of mine. Great infographic too. Classy. What was memorable was that Duke got the news peg nailed down quickly and didn't do the horrid and hopeless "drop intro" beloved of too many entries, yet they still filled their writing with appropriate lyricism.